|February 26 - March 22
Strategic Communications for Public Leaders
|FULLY ONLINE ASYNCHRONOUS (Canvas)
The Leadership Certificate series features public management topics geared to municipal managers, administrators, finance officers, governing body members, department heads, and elected officials as well as nonprofit professionals. The Strategic Communications for Public Leaders program consists of four core course modules that are offered in an order where content and concepts are built upon as the series progresses.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of communication planning in public organization
- Identify target audiences and needs
- Develop strategies to develop and use digital communications
- Employ strategies for generating media coverage
- Develop a communications plan
Essential skills for today's public communicator
Develop essential skills to communicate with constituents and within organizations
Program instructors have worked in the public sector and understand communication challenges and opportunities. You will be introduced to new strategies to enhance communications and increase constituent engagement. Participants are provided tools and resources that can be used in their organizations.
The online asynchronous online program includes four modules to complete at your own pace over four weeks. In each module, you are supported by a facilitator who will guide you through your work and answer your questions. Each module will follow the same format:
- Reading and multimedia reviewed at your own pace
- Learning activities for you to practice and check understanding
- A discussion thread to engage in conversation about current issues
For information related to taking our online courses, visit our Online Course Information page.
The following are modules in the four-week program that are instructed by subject matter experts and practitioners. The first four are required to be completed in order to earn a certificate and the fifth module is available for all participants to complete if they choose so.